Monday, April 4, 2011

The Kills – Blood Pressures Released Today!


Quick! Dress yourself in all black, throw on some boots, and douse yourself in booze and cigarette smoke because The Kills have just released their fourth album, Blood Pressures, on Domino.

Dark and sensual, the album sounds a bit more like their initial sound rather than 2008’s Midnight Boom, which was a bit on the peppy side.

Although, the flagrant hell-fire and fury from their debut album is missing, they are still every bit as stylish and charismatic. There is no doubt that The Kills are still pure un-adultered rock in its truest sense, but it seems that their sound has grown in different directions.

Check out this excerpt from arecent interview in which they discuss their influences for this album and Allison Mosshart’s experience touring with Dead Weather:

‘Obsessive and claustrophobic?’ repeats Jamie Hince: ‘yes, I like that. After we’d made the record, Alison and I talked about the theme: there’s a lot about gender, about relationships; it’s about sex – so, blood pressures’.

‘Right now, I would say it's quite a dark record,’ says Alison Mosshart; ‘the lyrics are a little twisted. I think I always say that about every record I do. I think we're just both obsessive people. Obsessive about what we love and maybe even more obsessive about what we hate. I need to perform this record live to see what it really is, and what it's really communicating’.

The music’s changed because Alison was on tour with The Dead Weather for much of last year,’ Jamie continues. ‘It was really freeing to take ideas of hers and to change them musically. “The Last Goodbye” for instance changes from 4/4 to waltz time’.

‘The Dead Weather is a very different kind of band,’ Alison agrees. ‘For one, it's a 4 piece band with a lot going on, and it's pretty spontaneous. I wasn't used to not knowing what was going to happen next on stage, having been so familiar performing with a drum machine. So I think I got better at using my voice as an instrument to make sounds and noise that could compete with guitars and feedback, rather than just delivering lyrics’.
Stream the album now or hurry up and pick up your copy.

But wait! Before you do that, check out the video to “Satellite” the album’s lead single.



As an added bonus, check out this great fan vid made from footage from the great Kills documentary “I Hate The Way You Love.”

No comments:

Post a Comment