Monday, May 9, 2011

AA Loves: Land of Talk


It seems like I’ve been living under a rock and completely missed the train on Land of Talk, but they’ve dominated my playlists for the past few days and I just had to share.

This trio of Canadian indie rockers blends progressive rock, a spot of punk here and there, and a tint of folk to make some amazing tunes. Think of them as the love child of Reverie Sound Revue, Bon Iver, and Broken Social Scene.

Lead singer and guitarist Elizabeth Powell writes some great abstract lyrics like “We’ve seen how sick winds blow/but I’ve got your bovine eyes/and I love you like I love you/then I’ll die.” But to avoid sounding precious, Powell throws in enough edge on her vocals while also maintaining the clarity and tenderness of a folk songstress.

Joyful, poppy, and fun this band is perfect for the increasingly beautiful weather outside.

Have a listen to “Quarry Hymms," “Cloak and Cipher,” and "Some are Lakes" below.





No comments:

Post a Comment