Thursday, July 22, 2010

Flashback Thursday: Raphael Saadiq, The Spinners, The Jackson Sisters, Marvin Gaye, and Bobby Caldwell


After listening to Raphael Saddiq’s cover of the Spinner’s “It’s a Shame” I decided to make this post a feature of some of my favorite old school R&B/Soul tracks. I love the Spinners and my god do I love Raphael Saadiq, I mean he’s the guy behind such classic jams as “Get Involved,” “Be Here,” and "Ask of You.” But of course let’s not forget the fantastic days of Lucy Pearl and Tony! Toni! Toné! With such an impressive history of awesome music, I have no qualms with him covering the Spinners "It's a Shame." It certainly does not disappoint. In fact, his cover is like a thoughtful gift wrapped in a sentimental memory placed in a box built from the first sandbox you played in. It’s that good. Seriously.

So without further ado, I present to you some classic feel good soulful jams to get you through your Thursday:

Raphael Saadiq – It’s A Shame (Spinners Cover)

Raphael Saadiq - Its a shame (Spinners Cover) by Aesthetes Anonymous

Jackson Sisters – I Believe In Miracles

Jackson Sisters - Miracles by Aesthetes Anonymous

Bobby Caldwell – Open Your Eyes

Bobby Caldwell - Open Your Eyes by Aesthetes Anonymous

A bit of blue-eyed soul to mix things up. It’s so good that J-Dilla even had to sample it for Common’s “The Light.”

Marvin Gaye – Mercy Mercy Me

Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology) by Aesthetes Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment