Thursday, July 8, 2010

The New Twilight Soundtrack WTF? + of Montreal announces tour with Janelle Monae

I suppose I’m a little late on this one, but surprisingly I don’t keep up with the latest developments in Twilight Universe. I recently received an email from the Metric newsletter detailing their new release "Eclipse (All Yours).” Excited, I listened to the song, not knowing that it was written expressly for the new Twilight movie. Needless to say I was shocked by the terrible lyrics and the shoddiness of…well everything.

I love Emily Haines, but it sounded like it was written by some emo suburban teenager writing poetry in her diary. “Tear me down they can't take you out of my thoughts/Under every scar there’s a battle I’ve lost/Will they stop when they see us again?” Come on! Really?!

A little perturbed, I decided to further investigate this. To my surprise, the folks behind Twilight managed to get some serious talent on board for the soundtrack. The list of quality bands that contributed new material is pretty astounding:

Beck
Metric
Cee-Lo
The Black Keys
The Dead Weather
Florence and the Machine
Vampire Weekend
Band of Horses

I suppose my biggest problem with this is that these bands have suddenly opened the floodgates to pre-pubescent Justin Bieber crazed teens. Call me a snob, but I don’t really want to see any Justin Bieber tweens at a Metric concert or a Dead Weather concert. Again, not to be snobby, but I will be, I’m not sure how much the average Twilight fan actually appreciates the magnitude of creative abilities that went into this soundtrack.

Well, I suppose I have to be honest now. All of this venting is really just to hide the fact that I think this soundtrack has the potential to kick some serious ass and I’ve already ordered my copy, watched all the videos online, and am in the process of purchasing the previous two soundtracks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
of Montreal Announces Tour with Janelle Monae

On to more exciting and less embarrassing news, of Montreal has just announced their joint tour with rising songstress Janelle Monae. At first the combination sounded a bit odd, but it’s actually quite logical. Of Montreal has always had a flair for the visual, and she is essentially the female version of Andre 3000. Just check out how stylish the concept is for her music video for, Tightrope.

What excites me more is how excited Kevin Barnes is. According to the good folks over at Pitchfork, Kevin Barnes wants to “marry the two shows together, in a way. It doesn't feel like you go see a band, and there's a pause, and there's another pause, and then it's over. We want to control the environment from right when the doors open, and have performance art and video performances and so many different levels of artistic stimulation that would go on throughout the whole night, so there's never a moment where there's house music or boring lighting. We want to transform the venues each night, so it becomes this exceptional experience for everyone."

How they plan to “marry” their two very different styles together is beyond me, but I am dying to find out.

Perhaps a combination of


and



 
Although, this might violate Kevin Barnes' golden rule of not wearing pants on stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment