Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Nujabes luv(sic) Modal Soul Remix


I must admit that in recent years, I’ve strayed quite far from my underground hip-hop leanings. It’s gotten to the point that I no longer even listen to the beats and loops that I once found sacred and quintessential to my day. I find returning to those once classic jams is akin to seeing a long lost love and realizing that the spark is gone. It’s as if you can no longer see the fire in her eyes.

Fortunately, there are still a few gems within my extensive underground hip-hop collection that still really get me. In particular, I began revisiting my Nujabes collection and unearthed a few remixes that I hadn’t listened to carefully. It’s the amazing interplay between jazz and classically trained musicians encountering hip-hop that can still spark my interest.

Listen to the Nujabes remix of his own classic Luv(sic). He takes the buoyant original and adds a quieter and more introspective beat to it, while actually speeding it up a few clicks. Of course a Nujabes track wouldn’t be complete without a gorgeous piano playing various melodic and harmonic lines that intertwine with melancholy strings. It’s amazing to see him revisit this classic.

Another great find was Pase Rocks’ Old Light from Hyde Out Production’s Second Collection. To showcase Nujabes’ amazing versatility, he backs this track up with classic a Mo-Town choir, upbeat Dilla-esque loops, and of course a nice funk piano.

On a sad note, I’m really quite broken up about Jun Seba’s (AKA Nujabes) untimely death. I know it comes a bit late, but every time I listen to his thought-provoking music I inevitably reflect upon his passing. It came as a complete shock and happened in the worst of circumstances – a car accident. Naturally, this only goes to reinforce my feelings that cars are pure death traps and should be avoided at all costs.

Anyways, enjoy the tracks.

Shing02 Luv(sic.) Modal Soul Remix by Aesthetes Anonymous

Pase Rock - Old Light (Voices from 93 Million Miles Away Remix) by Aesthetes Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment