Friday, February 4, 2011

AA Loves: Warpaint



Admittedly, I wasn’t a huge fan of Warpaint when I first heard them a few months ago, but I found myself strangely drawn to them despite not immediately taking to their sound. There was something mysterious and alluring that kept me coming back for more.


I’m glad to say that I’ve come around completely and now fully embrace Warpaint.

Abstract, removed, and disembodied, they resemble shoegazey dream pop with a bit of something else that you can’t quite put your finger on.

Melodic guitars mix with swirling, wailing notes, while luscious female vocals harmonize - a ghostly murmur stirring from the great beyond. Like seductive sirens they call out to you, they draw you in with their enchanting psychedelic spell.

Each song has an unmistakable path that isn’t clear at first but as the song wanders on, you suddenly find yourself in a clearing of a densely wooded forest before you plunging once more into the depths of obscurity.

From their EP Exquisite Corpse, check out “Elephant,” which I just learned recently is directed by my good friend’s brother. Really quite an impressive video, and I’m not just saying that.



Also, check out the fantastic “Undertow” from their debut album “The Fool.”

No comments:

Post a Comment