Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Art of John Martin


I'll admit that I’m a huge geek when it comes to medieval fantasy novels (note the olde spelling). As a kid I poured through the Lord of the Rings trilogy, every Piers Anthony series, the Saga of Recluce in its entirety, and yes even every Robert Jordan Wheel of Time novel no matter how long-winded they became.

Given that fact, I suppose it’s no surprise then that I’m so in awe of John Martin’s epic artwork.

He perfectly captures the magical world of dragons, sorcery, and knights that my childish imagination so frequently escaped to. But what truly blows my mind is the fact that he painted in the early 1800s, making him light years ahead of his time.

Just have a gander at a few of my favorites below, courtesy of A Time To Get, and I think you too will be stunned by his visionary work.

No comments:

Post a Comment