Thursday, June 9, 2011

What New York Used To Be – The Art of Bernice Abbott

The Old Penn Station

I just came across this stunning collection of Bernice Abbott’s photos of New York from the 1930s.

Originally commissioned by the WPA during the 1930s, this collection of striking images offers a great peak at what New York used to look like. As a recent transplant, I must admit that I’m a sucker for New York's rich heritage and I can’t get enough of seeing how the city has changed over the years.

Have a look at a few of my favorites below and be sure to head over here for the full collection.

The Old Penn Station 
Downtown Skyport 
The Hot Dog Man 
Under The Elevated Train 
Broome Street 
Broome Street 
Fulton Street Dock 
Mulberry and Prince 
The View From Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment