Sunday, August 1, 2010

Dirty Projectors “I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine” Bob Dylan Cover


I just stumbled across the Levi's Pioneers Sessions  for 2010 and it is a wealth of amazing music. As much as I hate the idea of corporate sponsored music, sometimes the results are just far too good to inspire any ill feelings. For instance, take Nike’s promo for the 25th anniversary of Air Force Ones that brought together DJ Premier, Nas, Rakim, and (unfortunately) Kanye West. I hate to admit it, but this unbelievable collaboration between living legends would not likely have come together for a track like this had Nike not been the main driving force. I don’t think DJ Premier has worked with Nas since Stillmatic, so having them together on the same track was certainly something to thank Nike for.

In this case, the results are similarly amazing. The Dirty Projectors did an astounding cover of Bob Dylan’s, “I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine.” David Longstreth’s impression of Bob Dylan’s voice is eerily accurate. I played this song for a good friend of mine who is a huge Bob Dylan fan, and he didn’t even realize that it was a cover. So needless to say, the Dirty Projectors give this song its proper due.

As for the Levi's Pioneers Sessions, they are definitely worth taking a peak at. The Raphael Saadiq cover of the Spinner’s “It’s a Shame” that I featured earlier was also a product of this series. Other notable covers include She and Him’s rendition of “Fools Rush In,” The Kills’ “Pale Blue Eyes,” and Nas’ “Hey Young World.”

Dirty Projectors – I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine by Aesthetes Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment